Currently, sharing and reuse of plasmids is managed by material transfer agreements and patent-based property rights. Navigating these rights and agreements can place cumbersome legal burdens on researchers, who often do not have the legal training to negotiate the agreements themselves, and who may not have access to a university technology transfer office who can help them through the process.
To address these challenges, we have made our own open source plasmids of known provenance and free of IP conflict, thus removing property rights encumbrances and redistribution barriers. Here we present the Open Plasmids Collection, a growing group of standard, freely available, open-source plasmids. Plasmids in the collection can be reused, remade, and redistributed as often as one would like.
What can it be used for:
The first plasmid of the collection, pBuild, is designed as a robust, flexible E. coli cloning vector. The plasmid backbone is designed to be compatible with multiple cloning strategies, including restriction ligation, Gibson assembly, SLiCE, and Golden Gate assembly using the FreeGenes MoClo standard. The second plasmid, pYeast, is an expression vector designed for propagation in E. coli and galactose-inducible expression in yeast, allowing users to investigate their genes in a eukaryotic environment.
Where can I find more information:
- More information about plasmids
- Freegenes Standard MoClo sites
- Plate Layout
- pBuild genbank file
- pYeast genbank file
Unique parts: 2
Plates in distribution: 1
This product is made available under the unilateral OpenMTA.
Instructions for Use:
Culture at 37C overnight, with shaking at around 300rpm. The bacterial selection marker for pBuild is ampicillin, and the bacterial selection marker for yeast is kanamycin.
When the FreeGenes project began, we needed a standard cloning vector for thousands of genes. The FreeGenes team designed a vector with the following 5 qualities for high-throughput cloning:
- Ampicillin resistance - Makes recovery after transformation optional, useful for working with many transformations
- High copy origin - Increases miniprep yields of plasmid
- Transcriptional isolation - Increases stability of gene inserts
- MoClo compatible - Allows for insertion of synthetic genes directly with GoldenGate
- Negative selection - Inclusion of the ccdB gene in the empty vector decreases the number of clones to screen in order to get confirmed construct
pBuild makes it easy to do massive cloning projects.